Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Our Vegetable Garden

The greatest thing to having fresh veggies is going out in my yard and picking them right when we need them. Last year I was using my zucchini for breakfast and dinner there was such an abundance! My hope is that this year I will be able to use my garden for breakfast, lunch and dinner with more than tomatoes, chili's and zucchini.

Each year I'm sure I will learn from the last. This year I have made rows for growing. My goal is that I can create a space that functions for picking and looks good when all my veggies are growing. Last year our beans and cucumbers wouldn't grow. It could have been the compost wasn't broken down enough and killed them or the sun was too hot??? So this year we are going to try and grow our cucumbers so they get some shade from our corn. We shall see if that works!

Vertical growing... on youtube there is a guy who you can find on 'growingyourgreens' who is fun to watch. He has a typical home and grows all his veggies in his front yard. He grows a variety of vegetables and fruit and because of his limited space he grows vertically. What I like about growing vertically is we should be able to walk through our rows without worrying about stepping on growing leaves. I'm also hoping it will be nice for the girls when it comes time for harvesting our fruit and veggies they can reach them easily. We will also be able to see the veggies flowering and growing.

Isn't this all very exciting?! Remember go out, buy one large cheap pot and grow something! You can always grow a cucumber plant vertically from that pot. Buy cheap bamboo sticks and create a teepee and watch your cucumber grow up. Give it water and a little love and you'll be cutting your veggies up and putting it in your salad, dipping it in ranch dressing, whatever floats your boat. It really can be easy.

No comments: